Skip to main content

Title

Click here to edit subtitle

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Have an account?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Employment, education and training

tyme
Community Lead

Are You Thinking of Peer Work? Have your questions answered here!

This thread has come about after our Sunday Hangout tonight where the topic of Peer Work came up.

Just to share a little about myself and how I came to get involved in Peer Work:

I was working in a totally different industry. At the same time, I was really struggling with my mental health. It was these very forums that supported my recovery, and I felt that the more I reached out to others, the more I felt supported in my own recovery. 

In my recovery, I also had peer workers support me. The hope they shared was invaluable.

From there, I volunteered to be a Community Guide did this for a few years. The call then came out for Peer Workers. This was when I put my hand up, completed the necessary training, and voila! Here I am!

It's been one of the most rewarding pathways in my life. It's given me a new lease on life and something to look forward to each day.

Of course everyone's story is different, but I hope this thread can answer your questions about Peer Work.

@MJG017 @Snowie @ArraDreaming @Shaz51 @Rockdog 

19 REPLIES 19

Re: Are You Thinking of Peer Work? Have your questions answered here!

Thanks for those links tonight @tyme.  The chat has tired me out for the night (it doesn't take much these days 😴) so I'll have a read through and get in touch with the 'Mental Health Coalition SA' and post here what they say about possible next steps.

Thanks again.

Sounds superb @MJG017 !

It's definitely something to look into if you are interested. There may be some Australia-wide opportunities too.

Thanks @tyme for including me and thanks for last night

Hello All,

Saw this thread come up today and thought to briefly share my background, role and peer story in the hope of adding some useful information to the conversation.

As always, my personal mantra is:if I can help just one person well it's worthwhile.

I've been involved with SANE for over a year now in the role of Peer Mentor supporting participants of our recent Peer Guide Program.

What a wonderful journey it has been. Walking alongside and incredible group of people determined to use their lived experience for the benefit of others.

I came to Peer work in my 40s following a severe mental health crisis. Determined to make good of a personal promise I decided to change careers and move from an Exec role in Hospitality to Peer support in the area of Suicide Prevention with NSW Health.

I studied MH Peer work on the job (fees paid by my employer) and was able to complete the course within 1 1/2 years. Got to be said I found studying, working and looking after my kids (single dad here) quite a challenge and I am glad that's behind me now. 

In Health I moved from Peer to Senior Peer working full time.

I came to SANE because of what Peer work has taught me. The importance of the individual, the importance of connection, the principles of mutuality, choice, personal safety. The list can go on. My worldview, if you like, is that MH is complex, and every little bit of support can help. 

As Peers we hold hope particularly through the hard times. This is my meaning and purpose.

I am extremely grateful to have found this community and this platform to share the journey with everyone else. I feel more empowered, less alone and importantly I recognise I am among Peers, who I know are making are real effort to hear and listen to each other with respect and empathy.

Simply thank you 🙏

@MJG017 @Snowie @ArraDreaming @Shaz51 @Rockdog @tyme 

Thanks for sharing your story @Bon_courage.  It's very helpful to me to hear these stories of how people came into this field, as someone who is only just realising it's something I want to pursue.

"my personal mantra is:if I can help just one person well it's worthwhile."

When I started going to support groups (online at first) about 18 months ago I found just sharing my experience and seeing how that helped someone who was battling with issues I had already gone through, helped me more than anything else had.  These were cancer support groups rather than mental health, but it was all about helping people through something familiar to me.  Even helping them through something that I hadn't encountered, helped me as much as I hoped I had helped them, even if it was just listening to them.  

So I stuck with it and thought that if what I'm doing helps one person through a tough time like I had to go through without much support then it was all worth it.  18 months in it still is, and I now find myself looking at ways to take it further.

thank you for sharing your stories @Bon_courage , @tyme , @MJG017 

I came on to the Sane Forum in 2015, 9 years ago 

from there I volunteered to be a Community Guide which i have done since 2016 

It's has been one of the most rewarding pathways in my life being a community guide  It's given me a new lease on life and something to look forward to each day helping others in the last 9 years 

thank you 

Loved reading your stories @tyme @Shaz51 @Bon_courage @Snowie @MJG017 🤗

I am currently studying my cert IV in mental health peer work after completing the SANE peer guide program.

I was first introduced to and inspired by peer work when I was in a mental health unit in hospital and one of the peer workers there had the same diagnosis as me. She provided me with so much hope and reassurance and I knew from that moment that that's what I wanted to do too. 

Something I really love about peer work is that you're constantly learning and improving. It has been the best thing for my own mental health and recovery journey 😊

I just emailed the MHCSA, specifically the senior project officer for a program called the leading Peer workforce development (LEWP) about information on how best to proceed with getting into peer work.  So i'll let you know what she says.  It is based here in Adelaide, but the information may be helpful to people interstate as well.

Similar to me @MermaidHair !

I was first introduced to Peer Work during an inpatient stay and my peer worker provided so much hope and encouragement. I was fortunate to have her months afterwards. 

That is why I'm here today.

@MJG017 , I'll wait to hear from you. Fingers crossed!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Have an account?

For urgent assistance