Skip to main content

Title

Click here to edit subtitle

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: I can’t cope

So BPD have issues with attachment to particular people? Is that right? @tyme 

Does this happen with animals too? 

I haven't read any studies with dogs or animals @Captain24 . But I'm thinking that if an animal has grown up not having learnt appropriate attachment skills, then they can behave in maladaptive ways @Captain24 . However, I don't think they would term it BPD. I reckon they would just say this animal has been through a lot of trauma and hence behaves this way.

What do you think?

Hey @tyme

I was meaning more can BPD have an unhealthy attachment to animals. Like is that why you are trying not to get attached to Ruby. 

I also have a friend that is unhealthily attached to her dog. I’m talking she won’t go back to a coffee shop if her dog isn’t allowed inside. She takes him everywhere. Any and all shops including food places. 

I reckon @Captain24 . Because I don't want to get attached, and hence I'm staying away from her. Let's just say though, it doesn't affect my everyday functioning and hence people probably wouldn't see it as an 'issue' that I don't want to get close to Ruby.

I remember with my last two dogs, when I knew they were getting old and would soon have to be put down, I stayed right away from them for months/years. I didn't want to get hurt.

That sounds fare @tyme. I was just curious. 

Another question. How does talk therapy help? That would be a long hard road?  Medication controls my bipolar, well when we can get it right! 

For me, the long talk therapy just seemed to work. I can’t even pinpoint the skills or anything. Also, there are many different types of therapy. Some are more skills based than others. The facilitators make a difference too @Captain24 

That sounds interesting @tyme. I’m struggling with my psych as she is all ‘talk’ but nothing with trying to work through trauma. I kinda just zone out. 

I guess when I went away that was mostly skills orientated. This a time will be even harder. 

So do you (I say you but mean all/any BPDers) suffer really badly with rejection? Hence your fear of getting hurt by the dogs? 

I know no one copes with rejection, I’m mean extreme

Where’s @Jynx when you need them 😢 

You doing the ok @Captain24 ?

I was just on FB and a question in one of the groups I’m in was.. how often do you need to shower? 

The answers were astounding. Twice a day, everyday.. my answer was just when my mood allows. Apparently that was the right answer for the person asking the question. None of the others were impressed with my answer. It was  a MH group! 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance