Skip to main content

Title

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

GraceUponGrace
Contributor

Should I work? Rest? What to do?

So I left work a month ago due to anxiety/endo/IBS.  My psychologist has instructed me not to look for more work and focus for the time being on getting better.  Income is however very low in the household so I can't see her as regularly as would be ideal as its $260 a go.  I've been looking at work from home, but every time I try to feasibly do things, I'm so exhausted, or usually in pain.  I just want to lie down and sleep.

Looking into taking some iron supplements as I suspect my iron is also low, but what can I tangibly do to pick up my spirits? It's very hot at the moment and we also don't have air con which sucks horrendously and contributes to the fatigue no doubt.  I try to stay hydrated and eat well, I don't eat junk. I'm just not sure if I should be pushing through or not.  Most days my anxiety is admittedly about a 7/10, definitely between 7 and 10/10. What other steps should I take? Should I try to work or heed psychologist advice?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Should I work? Rest? What to do?

Hi @GraceUponGrace 

sorry to read you are going through so much at the moment.  I tend to agree with your psychologist.  Your health is number one priority, you come first before everything else.  I know and understand how difficult it is financially when not able to work, is there some way you can apply for Centrelink support.

I lost my job in July 21 and have not worked since due to mental health, complex ptsd, diverticulitis etc and it's been very tough financially.  We put our house on the market to downsize and reduce our mortgage which we have now done.

My GP and psychiatrist warned me to stop looking for work and concentrate on my health otherwise if i did work i wouldn't be well enough to work.

so for now i am putting myself and my health first.

Also a few months ago with the hlep of my GP and psych i am now receiving a disability support pension due to my mental and physcial illnesses.

i hope you can get some more support.  It must be terrible to be in pain all the time and with the hot weather, it can be very tiring.  

Rest up, take care xxxx

heya @GraceUponGrace, thanks for letting us know what's been going on. It sounds like a lot.

It sounds like you want to work, but not sure if you feel up to it because of pain and anxiety. Is that right? It's understandable that you're unsure. While it's a little different, when I've had a lot of chronic pain, I've found it difficult to work at times. Is there some kind of in-between? Is that what you're aiming for with work-from home options?

It sounds like you're doing a lot of great things for your mental health. Do you have any hobbies you can do while you're not working and figure out what you're doing next? 

I find for me, when I'm experiencing lots of chronic pain, it's made a really big difference when I've done things I enjoy. It has helped me find a little joy in life when everything else feels like a lot ❤️ 

@GraceUponGrace 

Wet your hair and sit in front of the fan. Every couple of hours re-wet your hair again.

Also, try vitamin c supplements, it's good for your nervous system to facilitate activity.

Also, remember the natural and manmade electricity goes against our head. We shape it into the sub, con, and suss that we have to deal with.

So pierce through this shadow as well otherwise it causes depression.

Hey! Sorry to hear you’re going through it too but glad we can commiserate in unemployment. I am on centrelink for which I am grateful but as you know, it doesn’t stretch very far when you’ve got bills. I’m scared I’ll always be like this and my future kids will be embarrassed of me or something. yikes

Yeah hot weather is a bummer isn’t it? I try to just dampen a cloth with a fan and get out in the car air con in the heat of the day. lucky to have a good car at least

Hi TuxedoCat. Love the username.

Yeah I’m looking for some sort of in between working from home job. SO and I both work in media and I love it but I’m not well enough to be on set. I’ve applied for lots of WFH editing jobs but waiting to hear back. Even then, the prospect sounds so exhausting with where I’m currently at. Maybe I should wait for it to pass before I fully devote myself. Part time is a definite!

Admittedly I think I’ve been a bit depressed as haven’t found enjoyment in my usual hobbies (as the anxiety as prevented me from engaging fully with them). Maybe I can take small steps and just spend a few minutes a day on them at least to clear my mind

Hey! can you clarify what you mean by sub con and suss? (:
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance