Skip to main content

Title

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// Living with Bipolar // Tuesday 26th March 2024 5:30-7PM AEDT

I am the same - routine is super helpful. My days are very routine driven now!

I am working too but it is much less stressful than working for myself. 

Night shifts must be hard for your sleep patterns.

Re: Topic Tuesday// Living with Bipolar // Tuesday 26th March 2024 5:30-7PM AEDT

It’s hard @TideisTurning. It wears you down. It gets frustrating and disheartening. It’s also exhausting. I’ve done a lot of research and you can lead a regular life but for me that seems out of reach

How do you manage stress and mood swings in your day-to-day life? 

@EdwardBlossom 

I need to managed to find a routine for my days off, I get 5 in a row. I think that’s my biggest downfall. I need structure. I start with good intentions and then let the lack of motivation get in the way. 

Shift work certainly doesn’t make it any easier

Q: How do you manage stress and mood swings in your day-to-day life? 

I think I have finally found a daily structure that works for me. It often surprises me what has worked and what hasn’t.

These are my generally followed rules for my day:

• Make bed (this is surprisingly important to my mood!)
  • No checking phone until after breakfast/kids to school
  • Walk my dog for 30 mins
  • High intensity exercise session every day eg. Spin class, HIIT pilates, etc.
  • 15min meditation walk/listen to mediation podcast at 8.30pm
  • No phone/screens in bedroom overnight

For “in the moment” stress, I find breathing exercises very helpful.

Also being clear with my family when I need a break/to destress. I used to be embarrassed about asking for space or support because I was worried people would think I was being dramatic. Now it’s one of my key tools for coping with bipolar.

I feel you @Captain24, I've been there. Recovery can be super up and down, like waves. Figuring it out is a massive process that can be super exhausting and take it's toll. The tide will turn.

I don’t manage them very well at all. I let it all get me down which then starts a viscous cycle. 

Absolutely nothing has helped over 40 years. Only now I'm more sedate taking independent (taking medication) at night. The main thing they are sedating me a bit too much,9_10hrs solid sleep as opposed to 3 or4. I also have cptsd and D.ID,so theres a lot of overlapping symptoms. To be honest I think it's more the D.I.D than anything anxiety major depressive disorder and cptsd. Pity they can't see inside our brains to pin point the mental health issues. I hate this.

We are just guinea pigs

It takes time and information to learn how to manage stress. I was diagnosed almost 9 years ago (!!) and it has taken a lot of that time to learn what works for me re stress management. It's a slow process to figure out what stresses you most, how to avoid it, can you even avoid it, if you can't what helps, how do you deescalate, etc etc

I really feel for you @Captain24 - it sucks.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance