Skip to main content

Title

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Symptoms of Social Media - Looking after our Mental Health online // Tues 19th Feb, 7pm AEDT

I feel thst Everyone else has good times. They put everything they’re doing eg dinner out with friends holidays house things - it’s hard to see. And you sll might say to me - just don’t go on. It’s hard to stop. 

Its just me. Addiction is hard @Former-Member @holly299 

Re: Topic Tuesday // Symptoms of Social Media - Looking after our Mental Health online // Tues 19th Feb, 7pm AEDT

I have a number of strategies that really help me have a positive experience with social media including:
- Curating my feed – I unfollow anyone who makes me feel bad or unworthy. I have created my own little safe space by following mental health advocates, psychologists/dieticians, body positivity advocates, a diverse range of people (gender, sexuality, disabled/non-disabled, race and sizes)
- Blocking anyone/accounts, that come up repeatedly on my explore page or follow me, that make me feel bad. I have had so many skinny teas, diet pill companies and other body shaming accounts follow me at which point I simply click block and it means that social media is a much safer space. This also means blocking anyone who harasses, leaves hate messages or trolls you.
- Having off time – I make sure that I do have time to reboot and recharge doing things that are not on social media. For me this is often reading or going outside.

Msybe limit time spent on social media @Former-Member 

@BlueBay Absolutely, too much time on social media can take away from your actual life and so you spend your life watching other peoples lives - no wonder we feel like they're all out doing things!

@BlueBay  Limiting time is a good one, I really like that. The apps actually have little timers you can set up now 🙂 Then they alert you when you go over. What did you think of @holly299's idea of curating a "Safe" Feed? Including unfollowing accounts/people that make us feel low? 

Yeah @Former-Member that’s a good idea. I will look into that. 

I wish I could just stop altogether

Yer well just saying @Former-Member it I see an audience I should walk the other way lately

@BlueBay I know at least on the computer there are apps that can block certain sites - I use one called self control for when I'm studying. Maybe it would help to delete the apps on your phone?

To be honest @holly299 @Former-Member  it’s not good. I’m always on social media. 

Its bad. I’m pretty hopeless. 

Don’t use it so much? Or dont put too much weight on it?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance