Skip to main content

Title

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

elf123
New Contributor

Schizophrenia - where can they live while stabilising?

Hi everyone, appreciate a resource such as this. My brother in law has just come back into our lives after being on the streets for 4 years in psychosis. He started medication which does not seem to be working. He is living with his parents but now they are beginning to feel scared and it's not the right environment for him.

He has a psychiatrist for weekly appointments but what else is available? Is there some kind of assisted living, NDIS ect type thing? The way I see it is he needs a full day carer  for at least a time while they GET some meds that help, make sure he takes his meds and starts to gain back some normalcy of life as well as keeping everyone safe.

Appreciate any input or leads ect. There seems to be alot available for disabled people but not much in the mental health space particularly those with schizophrenia.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Schizophrenia - where can they live while stabilising?

Hi @elf123 , 

Well done on reaching out!

We wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you to the forums.

We hope that you find the forums a great place to connect with other members, share stories and ideas, and find the support and connection you deserve.

I hope you will get some support and resources from others in this space who has/had similar experience. Don't hesitate to reach out anytime!

Re: Schizophrenia - where can they live while stabilising?

Hi @elf123,

Welcome to the forums! 🙂

I am sorry to hear about what's happening. It can be challenging to navigate services and I find Head to Health quite beneficial to find resources and services out there for your needs. You can give them a call at 1800 595 212 or visit their website - https://www.headtohealth.gov.au/

Please keep connecting, and I hope you find a supportive community here.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance