Skip to main content

Title

Click here to edit subtitle

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Belle5
Casual Contributor

Schizophrenia

Hi my 18 year old has been diagnosed with schizophrenia. She also has anglognasia (ha spelling no idea) but she doesn't think she has it. 

She has struggled with anxiety and atypical anorexia but then last year had phychosis and has just spent the last 5 weeks in hospital and been diagnosed. 

She was let out yesterday and is still very unwell. I don't know what to do. 

She has gp apt tomorrow but not sure if she will let me come she obviously doesn't believe that she is unwell. It's all a conspiracy her boyfriend is had of an Australia wide cult that is targeting her. 

He has known about her for years(not true) he has people watching and black mailing all of us (also not true)

I don't know what to do.....

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Schizophrenia

Hey @Belle5 ,

Welcome to the forums. 

I'm sorry to hear how difficult things are at the moment. It sounds like a very confusing time for many around your daughter. 

It is understandable that you don't know what to do. Did the doctors give you any resources upon your daughter's discharge? Or even a psychiatric triage number you can call if you are concerned?

Please know you are not alone. It is your daughter's condition that is speaking and not her. I hope you find invaluable support as you connect with others on the forums.

The hospital tried to put her on community order to take meds and see MH team but stupid public defence thought he rights were to not be on order so they have released her knowing she will be back as she is opened to meds. 

We as parents have no idea what to do. She wants to go back to work,  drive etc. But needs me to sleep with her is delusional and not eating properly! 

I'm hearing you @Belle5 .

Sometimes, if there is not enough evidence that she is unwell, the system sees it as a breach of rights to put people on a community treatment order.

The main thing is, if you feel she is terribly unwell, possibly unsafe, take her to ED or call psychiatric triage. They will then know really how unwell she is.

I've been in the public system. Each time I was unwell, I went to ED or the ambulance came.

Hey @Belle5 ,

I can see you tried logging on to the PGC. You will need to register/signup (as opposed to being a guest) so that you can type and participate. We'd love to have you.

How are you today @Belle5 ? How's your daughter?

Thanks for asking. Hasn't beena great day I have cried on and off. 

I'm very over tired. 

My daughter has struggled today as well. She has to go to gp and that's very confronting if u don't think u have schizophrenia so she had a melt down when she got back. 

Her and I had a talk tonight but it's so draining when she sounds so normal them the phychosis stuff starts and trying to navigate that. 

I'm hearing how much both you and her are struggling. The fact that she doesn't think she's unwell is more the reason that she probably is unwell @Belle5 .

Did you go with her? 

Also, do you have professional supports you can reach out to for yourself? 

Give yourself room to breathe. I hear how hard it is, yet we want to make sure you are well enough to support your daughter too.

We are here if you need a chat.

She wouldn't let me go to gp. It's hard she's nearly 19 my youngest of 4 and has always been independent but then she also wants me all the time so there is this to and fro of our relationship. 

Support.... well I have some  husband her dad and a couple of course friends. But no I need more. This is very hard. 

I am seeing a counsellor too but I just don't know how to navigate this. 

I'm pretty experienced with MH stuff but this is way harder than anything I have had experience with. 

Supporting family is always the hardest @Belle5 . 

Have you ever access Carer Gateway resources? They have a counselling line you may be interested in Carer Gateway Mental Health Carer Helpline on 1300 554 660

There's also info here for Carers https://www.carergateway.gov.au/

KidsHelpline Schizophrenia 

I'll check-in with you from time to time. 

Please take care and know we are here. Please tag me if you need a chat and I'll respond as soon as I can.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance